Background

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Sporty Quilt



I finished this quilt last week and I'm a little behind and lazy on my blog.  A friend of mine asked if I would make a quilt for her son.  She said she wanted a sport quilt and she couldn't find one that she really liked.  They all seemed to be geared towards one sport or another.  She wanted it for his bed.

This was my largest quilt to make so far and I had a lot of fun doing it.  I used the pattern 4 Square Fun from Sweet Treasures Quilts.  This was the second time I've used this pattern because it comes together so nicely and I really love it for boy quilts.

I took it to my LQS to rent time on their long arm machine to quilt it.  A few months ago I ordered a pantograph to use because I'm just not that skilled on the long arm.  I used one that is called Chain Maille from Willow Leaf Studio.  I thought it might look like baseballs on this quilt.
It took me pretty much all day to quilt the thing!  I got to the shop at 10:30 and didn't leave until after 5:00.  I felt like I was an employee there.  People were watching me, commenting on the quilt, asking me questions.  I said I wasn't skilled and I'm really not skilled!  I had sewn two rows and realized the bobbin was in wrong and I messed up the thread in the threader so needless to say, I had to unstitch (mindlessly pick) two rows and then resew them.  But after it was all done, I thought it looked fabulous!
My friend posted a picture of the quilt on his bed and said how much he loved it.  Enough reward for me! (and of course, all the nice comments people posted)
 I almost left out the most hilarious part.  I really wished I had captured it on camera but I wasn't that quick.  I made Carter go to the football field at his high school to take pictures of the quilt.  It was a pretty windy day too.  He had to get it over the fence for me because I'm too short.  But the funny part is as I took the last photo someone drove through the parking lot and tooted their horn at us.  Carter groaned "Mom!" and wadded up the quilt.  He was so embarrassed about it.  Ahh, the troubles of having a quilting mom.



4 comments:

  1. It's a lovely quilt and you have made such a good job of it. Whoever chose the colours has a good eye, lovely mix. Haha, I laughed at you and Carter taking the pics, that's kids for you.
    Smiles
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate! The fabric is Varsity by Sweetwater for Moda. I guess I should've included that.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That panto does look like baseballs! Sounds like you had an quite an adventure that day quilting and learned a lot. Thanks for sharing your quilting story! It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete